Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It is what it is! & I wasn't expecting a little prick today!

So... I am so frustrated right now... I am trying so hard to take the higher road, but this frustration is killing me!



Here's the deal... I held a preliminary phone interview with the HR Department for this job that I really, really want.  The position is for outreach work for a non profit organization that I truly believe in.  The salary is great... the job is right up my alley... and it is less than a 30 minute drive away in NJ (compared to 1 1/2 hour commute into the City, this is a DREAM!).  At the end of this phone interview last Tuesday, the woman (based in Atlanta) told me that I would be getting a call from one of the HR people up here in NJ by the end of the week.  She actually said, "If you don't hear anything by Friday, give me a call and I'll follow up as I know they are filling this position rather quickly."  Well Thursday came and went so I called and emailed the Atlanta woman on Friday.  Waited around all day on Friday... nothing! Didn't really expect anything over the weekend, so I continued to cleanse (oh what fun!).  Waited around all day on Monday... nothing.  Was hoping to hear something by Tuesday and if not call before 5pm.  Well, I got home from the animal shelter after 5:00, so I waited to reach out until today.  Rather than seem stalker-ish... I called a couple times today, but did not leave a message when there was no answer, so finally, I just sent off an email. 

I was IM-ing with Shannon earlier, and she tried to keep my spirits up... and we came up with, "It is what it is!"  Here's the thing... don't tell me I am going to be getting a phone call by the week's end if I'm not.  And on top of it, don't imply that you will be looking into it for me if I don't hear back when you won't.  This is such an exercise in letting go for me, because she said, "They're filling this position quickly"... so, I feel like someone is dropping the ball here and I need to make sure they pick it back up!!  I know... I KNOW... people are busy, things come up... I shouldn't get so upset... but it frustrates me... that's all!!!

But on a better note... I interviewed today at St. Barnabus Health Care Center to volunteer.  It went extremely well... and it looks like there is a great opportunity for me.  They have a wonderful peer-to-peer program for teens to interact with youth in the hospital.  You know... play cards, arts & crafts, music, cooking, being a friend.  They need adult supervisors to assist with the program.  This would be amazing for me.  Also, they need help with discharging patients... which would be cool because it gives you an opportunity to work with all the different areas of the hospital.  So, I'm really thrilled about this whole thing... the bummer is, the process takes about a month to get on board... with all the background checks and orientation.  But I'll gladly put in the time!  The process started today with a TB test... I wasn't expecting a little prick today.  I do NOT do well with needles... so even with this simple test, I had to look away!!! 



I suppose I need to focus on the amazing things I'm bringing into my life and not focus on what I cannot control.  This would probably be a recipe for a happier/healthier person to follow... right?

3 comments:

  1. Right, but I know the frustration of people not following through, dropping the ball, not communicating, etc. You will end up in the spot you are needed in, when you are needed there. The volunteering you are doing may open unknown doors for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get that job & HR is just short handed with people's vacations or something. Good job not being a pansy about the TB test :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for the kind words of support!!!

    ReplyDelete