Sunday, September 11, 2011

The satisfaction of a day's hard work!

I don't know where David gets the stamina, but after he dragged me and Shannon to the gym today (Saturday) for our morning class at 9:15am... he decided we were going to clean up the yard.  Before I get into this whole story... we need to acknowledge what it is like going to a workout class... at 9:15am... when all you really have in your system is some birdseed and rabbit food!!  Can you say, "FREAK OUT?!"... can you say, "PANIC"... can you say "I KNOW YOU WANT US TO DO 30 MORE SECONDS OF SITUPS, BUT I AM ABOUT TO PUKE ALL OVER YOUR PERFECTLY TONED, THIN, LITTLE BODY IF YOU DO NOT LET ME CHILL OUT!" 

Needless to say... the whole floating outside of my body feeling that I've been sharing with you for the past couple of days... yeah... well... magnify that by 50x... that'll give you an idea of what I was feeling like after walking out of the class.  Frankly, I don't know how I managed to get us home without driving us up a telephone pole.

Anyway... back to getting home afterwards and the yard work.  David was actually kind enough to make me the most awesome breakfast of toast and fruit  (I mean... really??... COME ON!)  So after we gorged ourselves on the gerbil food, David was ready to tackle the yard work!  In his defense, it was very much needed on multiple levels.  A.) We hadn't cleaned up after Irene yet   B.) It was becoming difficult to see the difference between the lawn, the weeds and the shrubs and  C.) It was the block party today... we couldn't be the lone house on the street with a front yard that looked like a swamp!

 (actual picture of our yard... house is off to the left)

So... we got to work!  I finally put together the gas-powered lawnmower we bought in July.  David got out the rake, pick axe and crowbar.  Spice even ventured outside to help (we've had this cat for 15 years and she decides today that she is going to become an outdoor cat!!!).  After hacking through the jungle of vines and poison ivy... we found our lawn and got it mowed.  We weeded the garden, pruned the bushes and  fixed up the walkway... I think the 3 of us did a good job; it came out all right.


The interesting thing for me was... I really enjoyed doing this with David.  I am naturally a hard worker... I pride myself on my work ethic.  There were loads of days in my Corporate World where I would work my fingers to the bone, where I would be the last one to leave the office, where I was constantly replacing the empty water jug on the cooler... and you know what, rarely did I feel as happy with myself and my hard work as I did after working on the yard today... for my little house, in my little neighborhood, with my partner and my cat!

So now we could actually show our face at the block party with pride!!  I made it through the whole thing drinking water and eating a black bean burger (which I have never had before, but was really quite good).  I could write a whole blog on the dessert table alone... but all you really need to know is that I didn't touch a thing and my HEATH BAR cake was nearly gone by the time we left.  We got to meet a lot of new neighborhood friends: Michael & Tracy (... awesome bean salad... which I COULD EAT!), Lisa & Brian (... way too many cars on your street!) and Laura & Brian (... Go Rutgers!).  We also got to spend time catching up and laughing with old friends: Meghan & Boris (... the kid is too cute and we're so getting a dog to share!), Jeff and Catherine (... yay public library!), Margaret & Dick (... can't wait to talk more politics with you!) and Audrey (... the Governor DID live in your house!).

So at the end of the day, I am able to go to sleep having spent some time with new & old friends, watching my cat venture into the exciting new world of the outdoors and gain a better understanding of the satisfaction of a day's hard work!

That's really it for today... I have a feeling tomorrow (which is actually today already) is going to be a doozy!

3 comments:

  1. Harrold, the house looks amazing! I'm super impressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is so cute! How wonderful to have a real neighborhood with neighbors who meet, greet and socialize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. alas my friend the lived at 7 Oakridge : ) Still looking for OUR dog by the way.

    ReplyDelete