Thursday, September 8, 2011

SIMS or Dog Walking

So... my current morning routine is to get up, drink a berry protein packed-smoothie (oh what sheer heaven it is!... yeah right!), look for work on the boards, play around on Facebook, get some stuff done around the house, maybe run some errands and then either settle down to watch a movie or go to the gym with David.

Today... I am feeling particularly unenthusiastic.  After pouring through the available jobs out there (Hey, I could be a "Greeter" at the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel... oy vey!) and reviewing how to look LESS OLD on my resume from an article on LinkedIn... I just want to do nothing.  I don't know if it is the lack of sustenance in my system (once again, I am feeling like I am floating 2 feet above my own body... I mean, the whole altered states thing is kind of neat, but not when I didn't plan on it!!!!) or the frustration with being out of work for almost 4 months now and nothing really coming of it!!!  But I would rather sit on my new laptop (ASUS brand, by the way... recommended by the Geek Squad at Best Buy... LOVE IT!) and play my SIM Societies game!  I am building the most awesome Romantic Themed Village!!!



But here's the deal... I'm trying to better myself, right?  I'm trying to find a deeper meaning to things in life, right?  So, my friend Rebecca told me about this volunteer opportunity that she did when she was younger... working for the Jersey Animal Coalition.  What these people are doing is amazing... they are a no-kill shelter (which is vital) and they are an all-volunteer based staff.  They need people to come in and sit with the cats, walk the dogs, clean the poop... anything to help keep the shelter running... and more importantly anything to help the animals feel loved. 

I am a complete sucker for this shit.  I mean last night, David and I found a baby squirrel in our backyard who had fallen over 30 feet out of his nest (he was dead... just in case you were thinking otherwise...).  After deciding which one of us was going to clean him up (lucky me, since David cleaned up the 1/2 eaten chipmunk last time, which was left on our back porch by our neighborhood cat), I got kinda choked up (not from the bile rising up my esophagus... but actually kind of sad!).  I remember when David and I were grocery shopping this past Summer at ShopRite; it was a brutaly hot day.  We were walking back to the car with our bags of GLORIOUS FOOD and I saw this fluttering on the pavement of the parking lot.  A little sparrow was on its back flopping around like it was having a seizure.  I thought, maybe it had been hit by a car (clearly I wasn't thinking correctly... it would be flat on the pavement, not flopping around), maybe it was experiencing a bad sunburn (do birds get sunburned?) or maybe it was just dying.  I couldn't let it suffer out there in the middle of the parking lot... so amidst the cars honking to get by and the shoppers with their satchels of DELECTIBLES (God, I want real food!)... I scooped up this little guy and placed him under a bush, in the shade.  We're driving off and David says, "That was really nice of you... why are you so upset?"  To which I answer, "Because I want to take him to a Vet and get him better!" 

So... the decision remains... what to do... expand my ever growing populous of inanimate humanoids... or go sit with the pussies? (that's a nod to you Artie!)  SIMS or dog walking... SIMS or dog walking...

I think the answer is obvious... Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment